Sunday 16 August 2009

So my dad got in touch with me for the first time in 10 years the other day. I was checking my email before work and saw one titled 'Father to Daughter', I couldn't read any more before I had to go, which was probably for the best because I couldn't afford the distraction. When I finally read it, I didn't react the way I thought I would. I thought I would be angry, but I wasn't. I didn't feel anything.

I was a little happy to read his profile, and see his favourite things. His picture surprised me, he's gotten so old... When I saw a book I didn't recognize I googled it and read the synopsis, then it all clicked. It was a book about being different, and transcendence. I knew his letter wasn't really an apology, he was looking for a way to get rid of his guilt without acknowledging that he'd done something wrong. I don't think he feels guilty at all, even if he knows he's done wrong.

So I won't be writing back. I wish he had never contacted me in the first place, he belongs in the past; better if he'd never happened at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment